Good reads from around the Web.
Next week my co-writer The Accumulator is back from his month-long blogging holiday (as opposed to a real holiday – we know he only enjoys short breaks to abandoned seaside towns in the North).
To celebrate his return, I’ve decided to reformat these regular Saturday links in order to separate the passive and active articles.
While The Accumulator tells me he enjoys reading (and presumably chuckling over) the active stuff – in fact, he thought I shouldn’t turn the blog into a passive-only site when I mooted it earlier this year – I do worry the active links are noise for sensible index investors focusing on the really important stuff like asset allocation, cutting costs, and counter-party risk. And getting out more.
So for a while at least, I’ll try splitting these out, for both the blog links and the mainstream media links, to facilitate easier scanning.
Doing so does remind me how few passive articles there are for UK investors. No wonder our passive investing HQ is so popular!
Come back on Tuesday for an update on our Slow & Steady Passive Portfolio.
From the blogs
Making good use of the things that we find…
- Jack Bogle on the evolution of bond index funds – Amazon
- Buying individual bonds versus bond funds – Rick Ferri
- Hornby PLC: The stuff of nightmares – The Red Corner
- Go-Ahead Group: A high yield defensive stock – UK Value Investor
- Reduce spending or grow income? – Consumerism Comemntary
- Selling down principal: Market timing? – Can I Retire Yet?
- Student jobs and the tax implications – Ethan’s Money
- A short brush with gambling – Objective Wealth
- Funds can’t even manage cash well – Simple Living in Suffolk
- Ermine’s wife has a new food blog – Simple Eating in Suffolk
- Trendy Kath Kidston-style wallpaper on-the-cheap – Miss Thrifty
Product of the week: Halifax has extended its seven-year mortgage deal to all customers. There’s a write-up on The Independent website.
Mainstream media money
Highlights from the wall of noise…
- Swedroe: Don’t bother being cute and trading bonds – CBS
- Missing nothing: Hedge funds made zilch from shorting – Reuters
- The secret of Warren Buffett’s success – The Economist
- Direct Line IPO looks priced to go – FT
- A semi-automated summary of company’s annual results – iii
- Malkiel and the cyclical P/E ratio – Institutional Imperative
- How a drunken broker sent oil to 8-month high in 2009 – CNBC
Other stuff worth reading
- Demographics: The gray tsunami – Discover
- The bright side of a century of inflation – Motley Fool (US)
- Get ready for auto-enrollment in pensions – The Guardian
- The case for investing in Russia – The Independent
- The British economy is GREAT – FT Alphaville
- Neuroscience: The marketplace in your brain – Chronicle
- My first million: Anthony Thomson, Metro Bank – FT
Book of the week: Father-of-index-funds John Bogle has written a new book, The Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation, and it’s getting rave reviews in the US.
Like these links? Subscribe to get them every week!
- Weekend reading for investors: 11/04/09
- Weekend reading for investors: 25/4/09
- Weekend reading for investors: 16/5/09
Powered by WPeMatico