Philippines 50 Talking Points- awaiting your brilliant comments
EXPAT WORLD’s WORLD OF TRAVEL
This month EW’s is going to concentrate
on the Philippines. This information is not what you find in
your normal travel guide about the Philippines
50 “FACTS” ABOUT THE PHILIPPINES
* 50. Where the most happening places are not where the
party is. Instead it is where the gang wars happen, where
women strip and where the people overthrow a president. *
Reader J.C. Comment on # 50- example -Blah Blah Blah
* 49. Where even doctors, lawyers and engineers are unem
* 48. Where everyone has his personal ghost story and su
* 47. Where mountains like Makiling and Banahaw are con
sidered holy places.
* 46. Where everything can be forged.
* 45. Where school is considered the second home and the
mall considered the third.
* 44. Where Starbucks coffee is more expensive than gas.
* 43. Where every street has a basketball court and every
town only has one public school.
* 42. Where all kinds of animals are edible.
* 41. Where people speak all kinds of languages, and still
call it Tagalog and where it is fast becoming unfashionable
to speak English/Spanish.
* 40. Where students pay more money for
tuition than they will ever earn
* 39. Where call-center employees earn more money than
teachers and nurses, & where doctors study to become nurses
for employment abroad.
* 3S. Where driving 4 kilometers can take as much as four
* 37. Where flyovers bring you from the freeway to the side
* 36. Where the tourist spots are where Filipinos do not (or
* 35. Where the personal computer is mainly used for games
* 34. Where all 13-year-olds are alcoholic.
* 33. Where colonial mentality is dishonestly denied!
* 32. Where 4 a.m. is not even considered bedtime yet.
* 31. Where people can pay to defy the law.
* 30. Where everything and everyone is spoofed.
* 29. Where even the poverty-stricken get to wear Ralph
Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger!
* 2S. Where the honking of car horns is a way of life.
* 27. Where being called a bum is never offensive.
* 26. Where floodwaters take up more than 90 percent of
the streets during the rainy season.
* 25. Where everyone has a relative abroad who keeps them
* 24. Where crossing the street involves running for your
* 23. Where wearing your national colors makes you baduy.
* 22. Where billiards is a sport, and darts is a bar game.
* 21. Where even the poverty-stricken have the latest cell
phones. (GSM-galing sa magnanakaw)
* 20. Where insurance does not work.
* 19. Where water can only be classified as tap and dirty
clean water is for sale (35 pesos per 5-gallon).
* IS. Where the church governs the people and where the
government makes the people pray for miracles. (Amen to
* 17. Where University of the Philippines is where all the
weird people go. Ateneo is where all the nerds go. La Salle
is where all the Chinese go. College of Saint Benilde is
where all the stupid Chinese go, and University of Asia and
the Pacific is where all the irrelevantly rich people go.
* 16. Where fast food is a diet meal.l5. Where traffic signs
are merely suggestions, not regulations. 14. Where all the
trees in the city are below six feet. 13 . Where being held up
is normal. It happens to everyone.
* 12. Where kids dream of becoming pilots, doctors and
* 11. Where rodents are normal house pets.
* 10. Where the definition of traffic is the “non-movement”
* 9. Where the fighter planes of the 1940s are used for mili
tary engagements, and new fighter planes are displayed
* S. Where Nora Aunor is an acclaimed actress and Boy
Abunda is the best talk show host, where the population
knows more their showbiz stars better than their national
heroes and past presidents, knows more of showbiz gos
sips than their national history and current events.
* 7. WHere cigarettes and alcohol are a necessity, and where
the lottery is a commodity.
* 6. Where soap operas tell the realities of life and where
the news provides the drama.
* 5. Where actors make the rules and where politicians pro
vide the entertainment.
* 4. Where finding a deer on the road will be a phenom
* 3. Where people can get away with stealing trillions of
pesos, but not for a thousand.
* 2. Where being an hour late is still considered punctual.
(Grabe talaga ‘to!)
* 1. Where the squatters have more tax complaints (even if
they do not pay any tax) – than those employed who have
their tax automatically deducted from their salaries.
#AAA1- Where everyone & their dogs
(if they haven’t eaten them yet)
wants to leave the country!